Monday, May 3, 2010

NYC Glamour- Overrated?

This weekend my cousin flew in for the weekend.  She's a flight attendant so she always gets to fly into cool places like New York and such.  (So jealous)  So me and my sister decided to take her to these "Posh" and "High-end lounges"  We went to the Empire Hotel Lounge and 230 5th Ave Penthouse Lounge/Garden.  

I, being young and newly experiencing NYC nightlife, was not impressed.  The first place Empire Hotel Lounge, was great in that we got the royal treatment.  We had just got on line, which would have been an hour wait, when we were invited to cut the line and pass the rope by this well-mannered gentleman.

How kind of you!

He then ordered us drinks and we spent some time with him.  It wasn't a huge place but it was beautiful.  







Unfortunately, the crowd wasn't all that to die for.  Mainly, an older crowd of 30 and 40-something year olds came here.  So as my newly found friend Jenny put it "We were the eye candy."  The dancing was not on par with what I'm used to.  I know it's a lounge, meaning you can lounge but that doesn't mean you should.  I'm used to everyone dancing and good music.   This was a chit chat lounge; no one really knew how to dance so they stood there trying to have a conversation over the loud bad music.  I'm talking old music from two, three years ago.  Safe music that you can't even dance to anymore.  After a while it started getting crowded and it became a better mix of people.  Just wish the music was more up to date.  I would go there again, but maybe when I'm older.

I was even less impressed with the second place.  Very snobby and obnoxious.  By the time we got to 230 5th Ave., they weren't letting people in unless they were buying bottles.   So my sister tries to use us to her advantage and tells one of the bouncers that she has four other beautiful ladies waiting to come in and if we didn't have to wait that would be great.  He says, "Let me take a look at them."  WTF?? And then he takes a look and says, "Ok, it'll be 125 for a bottle."  

Haha, funny asshole. 

So we go upstairs and the waitress tells us it's a 250 minimum bottle service for the seating.  Wow.  Your kidding me right?  

We end up going back and forth with her and we end up saying we're gonna leave, but instead sneak towards the back where she can't see us anymore.  (The waitress was the least bitchy of them all)  I then go to the bartender and ask for a drink and also where the DJ is because I want to request a song.  He says, "Last time I checked you don't request songs to the bartender."

Um, last time I checked your job is to shut up and serve people liquor.  By the way, I was asking where the DJ is fucktard.

Ugh, I hate dumb rude people. 

We finally got to the lower level and from there it was smooth sailing, and beautiful.  Not so much the people, but the atmosphere.  Sadly, they wouldn't play my song because they "don't play rap."  Ugh.  So you basically wait in a long line for bad attitudes and no rap.







I don't care what anyone says.  We were beautiful that night.  


From left to right:  Sheena, Me, Jenny, Lovely, and Shane.



A good night overall (because of the people I was with, not because of service or atmosphere).  Call me young and silly, but I'll take dirty college parties with cheap beer any day.  At least there'll be eye candy and good music :)

No comments:

Post a Comment