Monday, May 24, 2010

Lost: the show of the decade is finally over.





I'm still so sad that it's over.  But sometimes the best things need to end.  This was definitely one of the better dramas on television and now that it's over, it's going to be hard for any program to replace. 

I'm not like most Lost watchers who watched from the very beginning.  I caught up somewhere in the 4th season.  Kristian got me into it.  One episode in and I was snagged.  The series never failed to surprise me or amaze me.  

So sad it's over.  Now what will I watch on Tuesdays?  

Can television bring people together?  Sure it can.  Kristian and I would always call each other during the commercials and just recap what we saw or say, "Shit, that was crazy."  We used to gather in the college dorms with our friends to watch the series as a group and whenever there was a secret revealed the whole room would gather in uproar.  I guess television can both rot our brains and unite the masses. 

I do hear a lot of talk about how the series ended.  A lot of people are saying it was a disappointment.  

Highly disagree

The ending was great.  Jack was the one chosen all along.  He was meant to bring Desmond down to the light and remove the rock.  Only then would he be able to kill the Man in Black.  He was also the one who was supposed to fix it all by placing the rock back.  That was his sole purpose and it had taken him six seasons to figure it out.  Hurley finally had his moment of leadership, as he was next to choose to protect the island and Ben finally was placed in a position of usefulness.  The flash sideways turns out to be a sort of purgatory in which there is no real time.  It is then revealed by Jack's father, Christian, that the island is real and so is everything that happened, but they are all currently dead.  He alludes, to the possibility that Hurley and Ben have been protecting the island for a long time and that everyone eventually died and was reunited in this one place.  Though Jack might of died before some of them, they were all waiting for him.  

It ends as it began, a closeup of Jacks eye and the dog that found him in the beginning, finds him again.  

The only reason that I can imagine for people to be displeased with the end is that they haven't realized that this is more of a fantasy drama than anything else.  There will be questions left unanswered and there will be things that don't coincide with reality.  That's just how the story goes.

Well, I enjoyed the show thoroughly.  I still can't help to be sad that it's over :(

No comments:

Post a Comment